Chief Executive Officer
Julian Appleyard OBE is the Chief Executive Officer for the Trust. Julian has significant successful experience as the former Principal of The Rochdale College being judged as Outstanding by Ofsted under Julian's leadership.
As the Chief Executive Officer for the Trust Julian is also designated by the funding agreement as the Trust’s Accounting Officer and is responsible to the Trust Board and Secretary of State for ensuring that the financial administration of the Trust’s affairs is in accordance with the Funding Agreement and/or Articles of Association.
In practice, this means that he is the key individual who links the accountability and governance structures of the Trust. He is also a member of the Trust Board ensuring that it acts within its powers and that its policies reflect legislative requirements, national policies and local requirements. He ensures that the Trust acts in the public interest in all its actions.
Particular responsibilities include:
- Ensuring regularity (that public money is spent for the purposes intended by Parliament)
- Ensuring propriety (that expenditure and receipts are dealt with in accordance with Parliamentary intentions – developing and maintaining appropriate standards of conduct, behaviour and corporate governance in the application of funds)
- Ensuring prudent and economical administration (keeping proper financial records and accounts and risk management processes to ensure that opportunities are not overlooked)
- Avoiding waste and extravagance
- Securing Value for Money through the efficient, effective and economical use of available resources
- Ensuring day to day organisation, staffing and management of the Trust (determining the strategic direction of the trust and turning policy aspirations into reality; setting high standards of financial probity and financial management, and ensuring that these are communicated to staff).
- Ensuring the trust board and governing body members receive the information that they need to perform their roles effectively.